The Art Deco facade of the original Toronto Stock Exchange building is seen on Bay Street in Toronto, Ontario, Canada January 23, 2019. REUTERS/Chris Helgren
* The Toronto Stock Exchange’s TSX rises 0.36 percent to 16,805.75
* Leading the index were Stantec Inc (STN.TO), up 15.8%, TransAlta Corp (TA.TO), up 10.4%, and Canadian Natural Resources Ltd (CNQ.TO), higher by 8.1%.
* Lagging shares were Eldorado Gold Corp (ELD.TO), down 15.3%, Kinross Gold Corp (K.TO), down 13.9%, and Home Capital Group Inc (HCG.TO), lower by 7.4%.
* On the TSX 132 issues rose and 96 fell as a 1.4-to-1 ratio favored advancers. There were 17 new highs and 1 new low, with total volume of 241.3 million shares.
* The most heavily traded shares by volume were Kinross Gold Corp (K.TO), Encana Corp (ECA.TO) and Manulife Financial Corp (MFC.TO).
* The TSX’s energy group .SPTTEN rose 5.48 points, or 4.2%, while the financials sector .SPTTFS climbed 1.25 points, or 0.4%.
* West Texas Intermediate crude futures CLc1 rose 1.03%, or $0.58, to $56.93 a barrel. Brent crude LCOc1 rose 0.68% , or $0.42, to $62.16 [O/R]
* The TSX is up 17.3% for the year.