The Art Deco facade of the original Toronto Stock Exchange building is seen on Bay Street in Toronto, Ontario, Canada January 23, 2019. REUTERS/Chris Helgren
* The Toronto Stock Exchange’s TSX rises 0.79 percent to 17,651.59
* Leading the index were Semafo Inc (SMF.TO), up 10.3%, Hudbay Minerals Inc (HBM.TO), up 9.8%, and MEG Energy Corp (MEG.TO), higher by 8.8%.
* Lagging shares were ATS Automation Tooling Systems Inc (ATA.TO), down 5.2%, Bombardier Inc (BBDb.TO), down 3.6%, and Canopy Growth Corp (WEED.TO), lower by 3.0%.
* On the TSX 168 issues rose and 59 fell as a 2.8-to-1 ratio favored advancers. There were 35 new highs and no new lows, with total volume of 222.9 million shares.
* The most heavily traded shares by volume were Bombardier Inc (BBDb.TO), Aurora Cannabis Inc (ACB.TO) and Baytex Energy Corp (BTE.TO).
* The TSX’s energy group .SPTTEN rose 4.79 points, or 3.7%, while the financials sector .SPTTFS climbed 2.96 points, or 0.9%.
* West Texas Intermediate crude futures CLc1 rose 2.88%, or $1.43, to $51.04 a barrel. Brent crude LCOc1 rose 2.74% , or $1.48, to $55.44 [O/R]
* The TSX is up 3.4% for the year.