The Art Deco facade of the original Toronto Stock Exchange building is seen on Bay Street in Toronto, Ontario, Canada January 23, 2019. REUTERS/Chris Helgren
* The Toronto Stock Exchange’s TSX rises 0.31 percent to 17,832.85
* Leading the index were Shopify Inc (SHOP.TO), up 9.1%, West Fraser Timber Co Ltd (WFT.TO), up 8.5%, and Bombardier Inc (BBDb.TO), higher by 8.5%.
* Lagging shares were Pretium Resources Inc (PVG.TO), down 21.3%, Finning International Inc (FTT.TO), down 8.7%, and Aurora Cannabis Inc (ACB.TO), lower by 6.1%.
* On the TSX 134 issues rose and 96 fell as a 1.4-to-1 ratio favored advancers. There were 22 new highs and 2 new lows, with total volume of 244.9 million shares.
* The most heavily traded shares by volume were Bombardier Inc (BBDb.TO), Cenovus Energy Inc (CVE.TO) and Aurora Cannabis Inc (ACB.TO).
* The TSX’s energy group .SPTTEN rose 1.27 points, or 1.0%, while the financials sector .SPTTFS climbed 0.02 points, or 0.0%.
* West Texas Intermediate crude futures CLc1 rose 3.22%, or $1.61, to $51.55 a barrel. Brent crude LCOc1 rose 3.87% , or $2.09, to $56.1
* The TSX is up 4.5% for the year.