The Art Deco facade of the original Toronto Stock Exchange building is seen on Bay Street in Toronto, Ontario, Canada January 23, 2019. REUTERS/Chris Helgren
* The Toronto Stock Exchange’s TSX rises 0.38 percent to 17,925.36
* Leading the index were Ballard Power Systems Inc (BLDP.TO), up 11.6%, Torex Gold Resources Inc (TXG.TO), up 9.6%, and Whitecap Resources Inc (WCP.TO), higher by 5.2%.
* Lagging shares were First Majestic Silver Corp (FR.TO), down 8.4%, Bausch Health Companies Inc (BHC.TO), down 6.5%, and Lightspeed POS Inc (LSPD.TO), lower by 5.9%.
* On the TSX 117 issues rose and 107 fell as a 1.1-to-1 ratio favored advancers. There were 25 new highs and no new lows, with total volume of 215.4 million shares.
* The most heavily traded shares by volume were Bombardier Inc (BBDb.TO), Manulife Financial Corp (MFC.TO) and Aurora Cannabis Inc (ACB.TO).
* The TSX’s energy group .SPTTEN rose 2.85 points, or 2.2%, while the financials sector .SPTTFS climbed 0.53 points, or 0.2%.
* West Texas Intermediate crude futures CLc1 rose 2.42%, or $1.26, to $53.31 a barrel. Brent crude LCOc1 rose 2.32% , or $1.34, to $59.09
* The TSX is up 5.1% for the year.