* The Toronto Stock Exchange’s TSX rises 3.06 percent to 14,958.09
* Leading the index were Ballard Power Systems Inc <BLDP.TO>, up 17.8%, MEG Energy Corp , up 16.5%, and Frontera Energy Corp , higher by 15.3%.
* Lagging shares were Shawcor Ltd , down 15.1%, Seven Generations Energy Ltd, down 7.8%, and Inter Pipeline Ltd, lower by 5.5%.
* On the TSX 173 issues rose and 54 fell as a 3.2-to-1 ratio favored advancers. There were no and 38 new lows, with total volume of 571.0 million shares.
* The most heavily traded shares by volume were Baytex Energy Corp , Cenovus Energy Inc and Enbridge Inc.
* The TSX’s energy group rose 1.25 points, or 1.7%, while the financials sector climbed 9.30 points, or 3.6%.
* West Texas Intermediate crude futures rose 11.95%, or $3.72, to $34.85 a barrel. Brent crude rose 10.42%, or $3.58, to $37.94 [O/R]
* The TSX is off 12.3% for the year.