FILE PHOTO: The Art Deco facade of the original Toronto Stock Exchange building is seen on Bay Street in Toronto, Ontario, Canada January 23, 2019. REUTERS/Chris Helgren
* The Toronto Stock Exchange’s TSX rises 0.16 percent to 13,614.14
* Leading the index were Chorus Aviation Inc <CHR.TO>, up 14.9%, Genworth MI Canada Inc (MIC.TO), up 13.7%, and H&R Real Estate Investment Trust (HR_u.TO), higher by 12.4%.
* Lagging shares were Empire Company Ltd (EMPa.TO), down 6.3%, Alacer Gold Corp (ASR.TO), down 6.2%, and Enerflex Ltd (EFX.TO), lower by 5.9%.
* On the TSX 153 issues rose and 75 fell as a 2-to-1 ratio favored advancers. There were 2 new highs and no new lows, with total volume of 400.7 million shares.
* The most heavily traded shares by volume were Cenovus Energy Inc (CVE.TO), Bombardier Inc (BBDb.TO) and Meg Energy Corp (MEG.TO).
* The TSX’s energy group .SPTTEN fell 0.55 points, or 0.8%, while the financials sector .SPTTFS climbed 2.16 points, or 0.9%.
* West Texas Intermediate crude futures CLc1 fell 6.98%, or $1.82, to $24.26 a barrel. Brent crude LCOc1 fell 1.6%, or $0.53, to $32.52 [O/R]
* The TSX is off 20.2% for the year.