FILE PHOTO: The Art Deco facade of the original Toronto Stock Exchange building is seen on Bay Street in Toronto, Ontario, Canada January 23, 2019. REUTERS/Chris Helgren
* The Toronto Stock Exchange’s TSX rises 2.29 percent to 13,925.71
* Leading the index were Chorus Aviation Inc <CHR.TO>, up 20.9%, Intertape Polymer Group Inc (ITP.TO), up 19.4%, and Summit Industrial Income REIT (SMU_u.TO), higher by 15.7%.
* Lagging shares were Hexo Corp (HEXO.TO), down 26.0%, Maple Leaf Foods Inc (MFI.TO), down 5.0%, and Ero Copper Corp (ERO.TO), lower by 4.5%.
* On the TSX 198 issues rose and 32 fell as a 6.2-to-1 ratio favored advancers. There were 2 new highs and no new lows, with total volume of 374.2 million shares.
* The most heavily traded shares by volume were Bombardier Inc (BBDb.TO), Hexo Corp (HEXO.TO) and Cenovus Energy Inc (CVE.TO).
* The TSX’s energy group .SPTTEN rose 2.68 points, or 4.2%, while the financials sector .SPTTFS climbed 6.30 points, or 2.6%.
* West Texas Intermediate crude futures CLc1 rose 10.62%, or $2.51, to $26.14 a barrel. Brent crude LCOc1 rose 5.27%, or $1.68, to $33.55 [O/R]
* The TSX is off 18.4% for the year.