* The Toronto Stock Exchange’s TSX rises 0.85 percent to 14,745.04
* Leading the index were Shopify Inc <SHOP.TO>, up 7.6%, Centerra Gold Inc , up 6.8%, and Canfor Corp , higher by 6.5%.
* Lagging shares were Chorus Aviation Inc , down 10.0%, Air Canada, down 8.6%, and Celestica Inc, lower by 8.3%.
* On the TSX 120 issues rose and 107 fell as a 1.1-to-1 ratio favored advancers. There were 7 new highs and no new lows, with total volume of 295.1 million shares.
* The most heavily traded shares by volume were Bombardier Inc , Stars Group Inc and Cenovus Energy Inc.
* The TSX’s energy group rose 0.15 points, or 0.2%, while the financials sector climbed 0.66 points, or 0.3%.
* West Texas Intermediate crude futures rose 7.08%, or $1.4, to $21.18 a barrel. Brent crude rose 5.33%, or $1.41, to $27.85 [O/R]
* The TSX is off 13.6% for the year.