* The Toronto Stock Exchange’s TSX rises 1.37 percent to 15,256.57
* Leading the index were Shawcor Ltd <SCL.TO>, up 35.9%, Secure Energy Services Inc, up 12.9%, and Ballard Power Systems Inc, higher by 10.7%.
* Lagging shares were Centerra Gold Inc, down 4.9%, Pretium Resources Inc, down 4.7%, and Torex Gold Resources Inc, lower by 3.4%.
* On the TSX 196 issues rose and 33 fell as a 5.9-to-1 ratio favored advancers. There were 2 new highs and no new lows, with total volume of 340.4 million shares.
* The most heavily traded shares by volume were Canadian Natural Resources Ltd, Air Canada and Hexo Corp.
* The TSX’s energy group rose 1.37 points, or 1.7%, while the financials sector climbed 4.79 points, or 1.9%.
* West Texas Intermediate crude futures rose 0.61%, or $0.22, to $36.56 a barrel. Brent crude rose 1.14%, or $0.44, to $38.99 [O/R]
* The TSX is off 10.6% for the year.