* The Toronto Stock Exchange’s TSX rises 1.30 percent to 16,410.19
* Leading the index were Aphria Inc <APHA.TO>, up 13.8%, New Gold Inc , up 11.7%, and Seven Generations Energy Ltd , higher by 10%.
* Lagging shares were Teck Resources Ltd , down 2.5%, Westshore Terminals Investment Corp, down 2.2%, and Allied Properties Real Estate Investment Trust AP_u.TO, lower by 2.1%.
* On the TSX 191 issues rose and 28 fell as a 6.8-to-1 ratio favored advancers. There were 9 new highs and 1 new low, with total volume of 219.6 million shares.
* The most heavily traded shares by volume were Toronto-dominion Bank , Suncor Energy Inc and Canadian Natural Resources Ltd.
* The TSX’s energy group rose 1.73 points, or 2.7%, while the financials sector climbed 2.99 points, or 1.1%.
* West Texas Intermediate crude futures rose 6.21%, or $2.3, to $39.35 a barrel. Brent crude rose 5.55%, or $2.18, to $41.45
* The TSX is off 3.8% for the year.
Our Standards: The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.