* The Toronto Stock Exchange’s TSX rises 1.18 percent to 16,428.30
* Leading the index were Canopy Growth Corp <WEED.TO>, up 7.9%, Sleep Country Canada Holdings Inc , up 7.5%, and Lightspeed POS Inc , higher by 6.7%.
* Lagging shares were Maple Leaf Foods Inc , down 4.9%, Eldorado Gold Corp, down 3.4%, and Wesdome Gold Mines Ltd, lower by 3.0%.
* On the TSX 154 issues rose and 66 fell as a 2.3-to-1 ratio favored advancers. There were 10 new highs and 1 new low, with total volume of 205.4 million shares.
* The most heavily traded shares by volume were Toronto-dominion Bank , Bank Of Nova Scotia and Canadian Natural Resources Ltd.
* The TSX’s energy group rose 1.34 points, or 2.1%, while the financials sector climbed 3.89 points, or 1.4%.
* West Texas Intermediate crude futures fell 1.55%, or $0.63, to $40.04 a barrel. Brent crude fell 1.1%, or $0.47, to $42.18 [O/R]
* The TSX is off 3.7% for the year.
Our Standards: The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.