* The Toronto Stock Exchange’s TSX rises 1.28 percent to 16,491.60
* Leading the index were Air Canada <AC.TO>, up 26.8%, Vermilion Energy Inc , up 26.2%, and Suncor Energy Inc , higher by 24.8%.
* Lagging shares were Shopify Inc , down 13.6%, Cargojet Inc, down 13.0%, and Agnico Eagle Mines Ltd, lower by 9.8%.
* On the TSX 138 issues rose and 82 fell as a 1.7-to-1 ratio favored advancers. There were 22 new highs and no new lows, with total volume of 363.6 million shares.
* The most heavily traded shares by volume were Air Canada , Suncor Energy Inc and Aurora Cannabis Inc.
* The TSX’s energy group rose 11.19 points, or 17.0%, while the financials sector climbed 11.14 points, or 4.1%.
* West Texas Intermediate crude futures rose 7.84%, or $2.91, to $40.05 a barrel. Brent crude rose 7%, or $2.76, to $42.21 [O/R]
* The TSX is off 3.4% for the year.
Our Standards: The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.