(Reuters) - * The Toronto Stock Exchange’s S&P/TSX rose 12.84 points, or 0.08 percent, to 16,061.50.
* The biggest contributor to the TSX gain was Royal Bank of Canada with 12.4 net index points. Financials was the top sector contributor with 22.4 net points.
* Leading the index were Canada Goose Holdings Inc , up 6.7 percent, BRP Inc , up 5.8 percent, and Birchcliff Energy Ltd , higher by 4.8 percent.
* Lagging shares were Sierra Wireless Inc , down 6.8 percent, Superior Plus Corp, down 6.1 percent, and Descartes Systems Group Inc, lower by 4.3 percent.
* On the TSX 102 issues advanced and 136 declined as a 0.8-to-1 ratio favored decliners. There were 8 new highs and 3 new lows, with total volume of 282.5 million shares.
* The most heavily traded shares by volume were Element Fleet Management Corp , Bombardier Inc and Enbridge Inc.
* The TSX’s energy group fell 0.28 points, or 0.14 percent, while the financials sector climbed 1.27 points, or 0.43 percent.
* West Texas Intermediate crude futures fell 1.8 percent, or $1.23, to $66.98 a barrel. Brent crude rose 0.12 percent, or $0.09, to $77.59 [O/R]
* The TSX is off 0.9 percent for the year.
Reporting By Sinéad Carew