SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - The Toronto Stock Exchange’s S&P/TSX rose 88.34 points, or 0.54 percent, to 16,444.39.
* Leading the index were Aurora Cannabis Inc , up 7.7 percent, Aphria Inc , up 6.9 percent, and Linamar Corp , higher by 6.6 percent.
* Lagging shares were Bombardier Inc , down 3.0 percent, Maxar Technologies Ltd, down 2.7 percent, and Canadian Utilities Ltd, lower by 1.9 percent.
* On the TSX 165 issues advanced and 72 declined as a 2.3-to-1 ratio favored advancers. There were 7 new highs and 2 new lows, with total volume of 213.1 million shares.
* The most heavily traded shares by volume were Aurora Cannabis Inc , Aphria Inc and Canopy Growth Corp.
* The TSX’s energy group rose 1.59 points, or 0.79 percent, while the financials sector climbed 1.06 points, or 0.34 percent.
* West Texas Intermediate crude futures rose 0.32 percent, or $0.22, to $68.94 a barrel. Brent crude rose 0.66 percent, or $0.5, to $76.32 [O/R]
* The TSX is up 1.5 percent for the year.
Reporting by Noel Randewich