SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - The Toronto Stock Exchange’s S&P/TSX rose 34.75 points, or 0.21 percent, to 16,390.29.
* Leading the index were Aphria Inc , up 12.0 percent, Gran Tierra Energy Inc , up 7.4 percent, and Canopy Growth Corp , higher by 6.9 percent.
* Lagging shares were Corus Entertainment Inc , down 2.8 percent, Seven Generations Energy Ltd, down 2.7 percent, and Pretium Resources Inc, lower by 2.4 percent.
* On the TSX 126 issues advanced and 113 declined as a 1.1-to-1 ratio favored advancers. There were 3 new highs and 2 new lows, with total volume of 179.9 million shares.
* The most heavily traded shares by volume were Aurora Cannabis Inc , Aphria Inc and Canopy Growth Corp.
* The TSX’s energy group rose 1.27 points, or 0.63 percent, while the financials sector climbed 0.76 points, or 0.25 percent.
* West Texas Intermediate crude futures rose 1.72 percent, or $1.18, to $69.71 a barrel. Brent crude rose 1.87 percent, or $1.42, to $77.37 [O/R]
* The TSX is up 1.1 percent for the year.
Reporting by Noel Randewich