(Reuters) - The Toronto Stock Exchange’s S&P/TSX rose 11.78 points, or 0.07 percent, to 16,013.49.
* Leading the index were Aphria Inc , up 13.0 percent, Canopy Growth Corp , up 7.4 percent, and Stars Group Inc , higher by 7.2 percent.
* Lagging shares were Alacer Gold Corp , down 4.5 percent, Interfor Corp, down 4.2 percent, and Guyana Goldfields Inc, lower by 4.1 percent.
* On the TSX 111 issues rose and 123 fell as a 0.9-to-1 ratio favored decliners. There were 5 new highs and 8 new lows, with total volume of 194.3 million shares.
* The most heavily traded shares by volume were Aurora Cannabis Inc , Aphria Inc and Canopy Growth Corp.
* The TSX’s energy group fell 0.47 points, or 0.25 percent, while the financials sector climbed 0.91 points, or 0.3 percent.
* West Texas Intermediate crude futures rose 0.51 percent, or $0.35, to $68.94 a barrel. Brent crude fell 0.1 percent, or $0.08, to $78.1 [O/R]
* The TSX is off 1.2 percent for the year.
Reporting By Sinéad Carew