NEW YORK (Reuters) - * The Toronto Stock Exchange’s S&P/TSX rose 64.83 points, or 0.40 percent, to 16,214.75.
* Leading the index were Aurora Cannabis Inc , up 12.7 percent, Canopy Growth Corp , up 6.5 percent, and Stars Group Inc , higher by 4.5 percent.
* Lagging shares were New Gold Inc , down 9.0 percent, Eldorado Gold Corp, down 6.5 percent, and Celestica Inc, lower by 4.8 percent.
* On the TSX 129 issues rose and 107 fell as a 1.2-to-1 ratio favored advancers. There were 4 new highs and 5 new lows, with total volume of 259.0 million shares.
* The most heavily traded shares by volume were Aurora Cannabis Inc , Aphria Inc and Trican Well Service Ltd.
* The TSX’s energy group fell 1.92 points, or 1.01 percent, while the financials sector climbed 1.89 points, or 0.61 percent.
* West Texas Intermediate crude futures fell 0.49 percent, or $0.35, to $70.77 a barrel. Brent crude fell 0.99 percent, or $0.79, to $78.61 [O/R]
* The TSX is flat for the year.
Reporting by Caroline Valetkevitch