NEW YORK (Reuters) - * The Toronto Stock Exchange’s S&P/TSX rose 54.82 points, or 0.34 percent, to 16,072.05.
* Leading the index were Canopy Growth Corp , up 8.2 percent, Seven Generations Energy Ltd , up 6.9 percent, and Nexgen Energy Ltd , higher by 6.6 percent.
* Lagging shares were MTY Food Group Inc , down 3.9 percent, New Gold Inc, down 3.7 percent, and Martinrea International Inc, lower by 3.4 percent.
* On the TSX 118 issues rose and 126 fell as a 0.9-to-1 ratio favored decliners. There were 5 new highs and 20 new lows, with total volume of 222.5 million shares.
* The most heavily traded shares by volume were Aurora Cannabis Inc , Aphria Inc and Turquoise Hill Resources Ltd.
* The TSX’s energy group rose 3.68 points, or 1.90 percent, while the financials sector climbed 0.84 points, or 0.28 percent.
* West Texas Intermediate crude futures rose 1.26 percent, or $0.95, to $76.18 a barrel. Brent crude rose 1.38 percent, or $1.17, to $85.97 [O/R]
* The TSX is off 0.8 percent for the year.
Reporting by Lewis Krauskopf