NEW YORK (Reuters) -
* The Toronto Stock Exchange’s S&P/TSX fell 35.82 points, or 0.24 percent, to 14,888.26.
* Leading the index were Aecon Group Inc , up 11.9 percent, First Quantum Minerals Ltd , up 7 percent, and Trican Well Service Ltd , higher by 6.9 percent.
* Lagging shares were Canfor Corp , down 7.1 percent, Bombardier Inc, down 6.6 percent, and Eldorado Gold Corp, lower by 5.8 percent.
* On the TSX 101 issues rose and 139 fell as a 0.7-to-1 ratio favored decliners. There were no new highs and 31 new lows, with total volume of 269.0 million shares.
* The most heavily traded shares by volume were Aurora Cannabis Inc , Bombardier Inc and Aphria Inc.
* The TSX’s energy group rose 0.64 points, or 0.38 percent, while the financials sector slipped 1.36 points, or 0.48 percent.
* West Texas Intermediate crude futures rose 0.52 percent, or $0.35, to $67.68 a barrel. Brent crude rose 1.13 percent, or $0.87, to $77.76 [O/R]
* The TSX is off 8.1 percent for the year.
Reporting by Lewis Krauskopf