NEW YORK (Reuters) - * The Toronto Stock Exchange’s S&P/TSX rose 227.16 points, or 1.52 percent, to 15,171.25.
* Leading the index were Transcontinental Inc , up 10.6 percent, Aphria Inc , up 10.3 percent, and Hudson’s Bay Co , higher by 9.3 percent.
* Lagging shares were Crescent Point Energy Corp , down 6.1 percent, Bombardier Inc, down 5.3 percent, and AltaGas Ltd, lower by 5.1 percent.
* On the TSX 189 issues rose and 57 fell as a 3.3-to-1 ratio favored advancers. There were six new highs and 21 new lows, with total volume of 244.5 million shares.
* The most heavily traded shares by volume were Aurora Cannabis Inc , Bombardier Inc and Crescent Point Energy Corp.
* The TSX’s energy group fell 0.47 points, or 0.32 percent, while the financials sector climbed 5.60 points, or 1.95 percent.
* West Texas Intermediate crude futures fell 2.27 percent, or $1.16, to $50.39 a barrel. Brent crude fell 2.34 percent, or $1.41, to $58.8
* The TSX is off 6.4 percent for the year.
Reporting by April Joyner