(Reuters) - * The Toronto Stock Exchange’s S&P/TSX rose 101.02 points, or 0.70 percent, to 14,605.15.
* Leading the index were New Gold Inc , up 11.7 percent, First Quantum Minerals Ltd , up 8.4 percent, and Interfor Corp , higher by 5.8 percent.
* Lagging shares were Barrick Gold Corp , down 5.1 percent, Nuvista Energy Ltd, down 4.6 percent, and Aurora Cannabis Inc, lower by 4.4 percent.
* On the TSX 169 issues rose and 67 fell as a 2.5-to-1 ratio favored advancers. There were 1 new highs and 1 new lows, with total volume of 259.8 million shares.
* The most heavily traded shares by volume were Aurora Cannabis Inc , Barrick Gold Corp and Enbridge Inc.
* The TSX’s energy group rose 0.13 points, or 0.09 percent, while the financials sector climbed 1.23 points, or 0.45 percent.
* West Texas Intermediate crude futures rose 2.43 percent, or $1.18, to $49.7 a barrel. Brent crude rose 2.32 percent, or $1.33, to $58.66 [O/R]
* The TSX is up 2 percent for the year.
Reporting By Sinéad Carew