* The Toronto Stock Exchange’s S&P/TSX fell 62.42 points, or 0.39 percent, to 16,087.55.
* Leading the index were Birchcliff Energy Ltd, up 4.8 percent, Nexgen Energy Ltd, up 3.2 percent, and Whitecap Resources Inc, higher by 2.5 percent.
* Lagging shares were North West Company Inc, down 5.5 percent, Iamgold Corp, down 5.1 percent, and Alamos Gold Inc, lower by 5.1 percent.
* On the TSX 78 issues rose and 153 fell as a 0.5-to-1 ratio favored decliners. There were 9 new highs and no new lows, with total volume of 196.6 million shares.
* The most heavily traded shares by volume were Aurora Cannabis Inc, Bombardier Inc and Encana Corp.
* The TSX’s energy group rose 0.03 points, or 0.0 percent, while the financials sector slipped 0.99 points, or 0.3 percent.
* West Texas Intermediate crude futures rose 0.46 percent, or $0.27, to $58.53 a barrel. Brent crude fell 0.55 percent, or $0.37, to $67.18 [O/R]
* The TSX is up 12.3 percent for the year.