* The Toronto Stock Exchange’s S&P/TSX rose 83.55 points, or 0.51 percent, to 16,494.43.
* Leading the index were Pretium Resources Inc, up 13.7 percent, Baytex Energy Corp, up 12.9 percent, and CannTrust Holdings Inc, higher by 7.1 percent.
* Lagging shares were Eldorado Gold Corp, down 17.8 percent, Enerflex Ltd, down 6.3 percent, and Martinrea International Inc, lower by 5.7 percent.
* On the TSX 164 issues rose and 72 fell as a 2.3-to-1 ratio favored advancers. There were 5 new highs and 5 new lows, with total volume of 201.6 million shares.
* The most heavily traded shares by volume were Bombardier Inc, Baytex Energy Corp and Encana Corp.
* The TSX’s energy group rose 1.51 points, or 1.0 percent, while the financials sector climbed 1.08 points, or 0.4 percent.
* West Texas Intermediate crude futures rose 0.06 percent, or $0.04, to $61.85 a barrel. Brent crude rose 0.03 percent, or $0.02, to $70.77
* The TSX is up 15.2 percent for the year.