The Toronto Stock Exchange’s S&P/TSX rose 125.72 points, or 0.77 percent, to 16,443.86.
* Leading the index were Iamgold Corp, up 9.4 percent, Bombardier Inc, up 7.5 percent, and Birchcliff Energy Ltd, higher by 7.2 percent.
* Lagging shares were Torex Gold Resources Inc, down 6.0 percent, Eldorado Gold Corp, down 4.5 percent, and Onex Corp, lower by 2.9 percent.
* On the TSX 166 issues rose and 70 fell as a 2.4-to-1 ratio favored advancers. There were 18 new highs and 6 new lows, with total volume of 204.0 million shares.
* The most heavily traded shares by volume were Bombardier Inc, Aurora Cannabis Inc and Manulife Financial Corp.
* The TSX’s energy group rose 1.11 points, or 0.7 percent, while the financials sector climbed 1.22 points, or 0.4 percent.
* West Texas Intermediate crude futures rose 1.68 percent, or $1.04, to $63.06 a barrel. Brent crude rose 1.35 percent, or $0.97, to $72.74 [O/R]
* The TSX is up 14.8 percent for the year.