* The Toronto Stock Exchange’s S&P/TSX rose 10.02 points, or 0.06 percent, to 16,494.23.
* Leading the index were Sandstorm Gold Ltd , up 8.6 percent, First Majestic Silver Corp , up 6.3 percent, and Alacer Gold Corp , higher by 6.1 percent.
* Lagging shares were Aurora Cannabis Inc , down 6.5 percent, Vermilion Energy Inc, down 4.7 percent, and Nuvista Energy Ltd, lower by 4.2 percent.
* On the TSX 122 issues rose and 111 fell as a 1.1-to-1 ratio favored advancers. There were 23 new highs and 8 new lows, with total volume of 200.2 million shares.
* The most heavily traded shares by volume were Bombardier Inc , Barrick Gold Corp and Encana Corp.
* The TSX’s energy group fell 2.31 points, or 1.7 percent, while the financials sector climbed 0.67 points, or 0.2 percent.
* West Texas Intermediate crude futures fell 2.08 percent, or $1.18, to $55.6 a barrel. Brent crude fell 1.95 percent, or $1.24, to $62.42 [O/R]
* The TSX is up 15.2 percent for the year.