* The Toronto Stock Exchange’s TSX rises 0.38 percent to 16,098.79
* Leading the index were Bombardier Inc , up 5.7 percent, Shopify Inc , up 3.1 percent, and Gran Tierra Energy Inc , higher by 2.5 percent.
* Lagging shares were CannTrust Holdings Inc , down 4.4 percent, Cascades Inc, down 4.2 percent, and Nexgen Energy Ltd, lower by 3.8 percent.
* On the TSX 125 issues rose and 108 fell as a 1.2-to-1 ratio favored advancers. There were 13 new highs and 20 new lows, with total volume of 167.7 million shares.
* The most heavily traded shares by volume were Bombardier Inc , B2gold Corp and Encana Corp.
* The TSX’s energy group rose 0.27 points, or 0.2 percent, while the financials sector climbed 1.28 points, or 0.4 percent.
* West Texas Intermediate crude futures fell 0.66 percent, or $0.36, to $53.81 a barrel. Brent crude fell 0.81 percent, or $0.48, to $58.86.
* The TSX is up 12.4 percent for the year.