* The Toronto Stock Exchange’s TSX rises 0.53 percent to 16,183.59
* Leading the index were Pan American Silver Corp , up 8.0 percent, MAG Silver Corp , up 7.9 percent, and Iamgold Corp , higher by 7.9 percent.
* Lagging shares were Canopy Growth Corp , down 6.0 percent, Aphria Inc, down 5.7 percent, and Birchcliff Energy Ltd, lower by 5.4 percent.
* On the TSX 142 issues rose and 92 fell as a 1.5-to-1 ratio favored advancers. There were 27 new highs and 22 new lows, with total volume of 229.9 million shares.
* The most heavily traded shares by volume were Emera Inc , Air Canada and Encana Corp.
* The TSX’s energy group fell 0.65 points, or 0.5 percent, while the financials sector slipped 0.67 points, or 0.2 percent.
* West Texas Intermediate crude futures rose 2.44 percent, or $1.31, to $54.95 a barrel. Brent crude rose 1.36 percent, or $0.8, to $59.5.
* The TSX is up 13 percent for the year.