* The Toronto Stock Exchange’s TSX rises 0.77 percent to 16,574.81
* Leading the index were Descartes Systems Group Inc , up 10.0 percent, Birchcliff Energy Ltd , up 8 percent, and CannTrust Holdings Inc , higher by 7.4 percent.
* Lagging shares were Centerra Gold Inc , down 9.3 percent, First Majestic Silver Corp, down 9.1 percent, and Detour Gold Corp, lower by 8.3 percent.
* On the TSX 169 issues rose and 68 fell as a 2.5-to-1 ratio favored advancers. There were 17 new highs and 1 new low, with total volume of 229.2 million shares.
* The most heavily traded shares by volume were Encana Corp , Canadian Natural Resources Ltd and Barrick Gold Corp.
* The TSX’s energy group rose 3.32 points, or 2.7 percent, while the financials sector climbed 4.07 points, or 1.4 percent.
* West Texas Intermediate crude futures fell 0.12 percent, or $0.07, to $56.19 a barrel. Brent crude rose 0.1 percent, or $0.06, to $60.76.
* The TSX is up 15.7 percent for the year.