* The Toronto Stock Exchange’s TSX falls 0.24 percent to 16,495.09
* Leading the index were Nuvista Energy Ltd , up 11.3 percent, Gran Tierra Energy Inc , up 11.3 percent, and Ensign Energy Services Inc , higher by 10 percent.
* Lagging shares were Pretium Resources Inc , down 8.9 percent, Eldorado Gold Corp, down 6.6 percent, and CannTrust Holdings Inc, lower by 6.0 percent.
* On the TSX 117 issues rose and 118 fell as a 1-to-1 ratio favored decliners. There were 8 new highs and no new lows, with total volume of 216.6 million shares.
* The most heavily traded shares by volume were Canadian Natural Resources Ltd , Encana Corp and Kinross Gold Corp.
* The TSX’s energy group rose 2.97 points, or 2.3 percent, while the financials sector climbed 1.47 points, or 0.5 percent.
* West Texas Intermediate crude futures rose 2.64 percent, or $1.49, to $58.01 a barrel. Brent crude rose 1.85 percent, or $1.14, to $62.68 [O/R]
* The TSX is up 15.2 percent for the year.