FILE PHOTO: A TMX Group sign, the company that runs the Toronto Stock Exchange (TSX), is seen in Toronto, June 23, 2014. REUTERS/Mark Blinch
- The Toronto Stock Exchange’s TSX rises 0.19 percent to 16,643.28
- Leading the index were First Quantum Minerals Ltd (FM.TO), up 8.6 percent, Kelt Exploration Ltd (KEL.TO), up 7.3 percent, and Peyto Exploration & Development Corp (PEY.TO), higher by 6.6 percent.
- Lagging shares were Aurora Cannabis Inc (ACB.TO), down 8.9 percent, North West Company Inc (NWC.TO), down 7.2 percent, and Gran Tierra Energy Inc (GTE.TO), lower by 4.5 percent.
- On the TSX 119 issues rose and 117 fell as a 1-to-1 ratio favored advancers. There were 7 new highs and 1 new low, with total volume of 266.4 million shares.
- The most heavily traded shares by volume were First Quantum Minerals Ltd (FM.TO), Aurora Cannabis Inc (ACB.TO) and Canadian Natural Resources Ltd (CNQ.TO).
- The TSX’s energy group .SPTTEN rose 0.42 points, or 0.3 percent, while the financials sector .SPTTFS climbed 2.32 points, or 0.8 percent.
- West Texas Intermediate crude futures CLc1 fell 1.13 percent, or $0.63, to $55.12 a barrel. Brent crude LCOc1 fell 0.61 percent, or $0.37, to $60.44 [O/R]
- The TSX is up 16.2 percent for the year.