FILE PHOTO: The Art Deco facade of the original Toronto Stock Exchange building is seen on Bay Street in Toronto, Ontario, Canada January 23, 2019. REUTERS/Chris Helgren
* The Toronto Stock Exchange’s TSX rises 1.54 percent to 14,642.11
* Leading the index were MAG Silver Corp <MAG.TO>, up 19.4%, BRP Inc (DOO.TO), up 12.7%, and Canopy Growth Corp (WEED.TO), higher by 12.3%.
* Lagging shares were Secure Energy Services Inc (SES.TO), down 4.5%, Centerra Gold Inc (CG.TO), down 4.0%, and Teck Resources Ltd (TECKb.TO), lower by 3.7%.
* On the TSX 176 issues rose and 53 fell as a 3.3-to-1 ratio favored advancers. There were 10 new highs and no new lows, with total volume of 283.9 million shares.
* The most heavily traded shares by volume were Royal Bank Of Canada (RY.TO), Manulife Financial Corp (MFC.TO) and Aurora Cannabis Inc (ACB.TO).
* The TSX’s energy group .SPTTEN rose 0.19 points, or 0.3%, while the financials sector .SPTTFS climbed 7.10 points, or 3.0%.
* West Texas Intermediate crude futures fell 23.67%, or $4.01, to $12.93 a barrel. Brent crude fell 6.72%, or $1.44, to $20
* The TSX is off 14.2% for the year.