* The Toronto Stock Exchange’s TSX rises 0.97 percent to 16,063.33
* Leading the index were Air Canada <AC.TO>, up 13.8%, Sleep Country Canada Holdings Inc , up 12.9%, and Cronos Group Inc , higher by 9.1%.
* Lagging shares were CCL Industries Inc , down 2.5%, Shopify Inc, down 2.2%, and Lundin Gold Inc, lower by 1.8%.
* On the TSX 184 issues rose and 37 fell as a 5-to-1 ratio favored advancers. There were 7 new highs and no new lows, with total volume of 238.7 million shares.
* The most heavily traded shares by volume were Toronto-dominion Bank , Royal Bank Of Canada and Air Canada.
* The TSX’s energy group rose 1.62 points, or 2.1%, while the financials sector climbed 3.46 points, or 1.3%.
* West Texas Intermediate crude futures rose 1.74%, or $0.7, to $40.99 a barrel. Brent crude rose 1.75%, or $0.75, to $43.65 [O/R]
* The TSX is off 5.9% for the year.
Our Standards: The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.