July 6, 2016 / 5:32 PM / in a year

Former champion Cink pulls out of British Open

LONDON (Reuters) - Former champion Stewart Cink has withdrawn from this month’s British Open at Royal Troon, organizers said on Wednesday.

Jan 16, 2016; Honolulu, HI, USA; PGA golfer Stewart Cink tees off on the 11th hole during the third round of the Sony Open in Hawaii golf tournament at Waialae Country Club. Mandatory Credit: Brian Spurlock-USA TODAY Sports - RTX22PCB

The 43-year-old American won the tournament at Turnberry in 2009, beating 59-year-old compatriot Tom Watson in a playoff.

Cink said in May he was taking time off the Tour to care for his wife Lisa who had been diagnosed with breast cancer.

Reporting by Ed Osmond; Editing by Ken Ferris

0 : 0
  • narrow-browser-and-phone
  • medium-browser-and-portrait-tablet
  • landscape-tablet
  • medium-wide-browser
  • wide-browser-and-larger
  • medium-browser-and-landscape-tablet
  • medium-wide-browser-and-larger
  • above-phone
  • portrait-tablet-and-above
  • above-portrait-tablet
  • landscape-tablet-and-above
  • landscape-tablet-and-medium-wide-browser
  • portrait-tablet-and-below
  • landscape-tablet-and-below