for-phone-onlyfor-tablet-portrait-upfor-tablet-landscape-upfor-desktop-upfor-wide-desktop-up

Indy 500 limiting attendance to 25 percent capacity

The 104th Indianapolis 500 will run on Aug. 23 with attendance limited to 25 percent capacity due to the ongoing coronavirus pandemic.

That still equates to 87,500 fans at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, which has permanent seating for more than 250,000, plus room for tens of thousands more spectators in the infield.

Track officials announced the latest restrictions with an 88-page health and safety plan on Wednesday, a reduction from the 50-percent capacity announced last month. The plan has already been approved by the Marion County Public Health Department.

Everyone will be required to wear masks and have their temperatures checked. Red stickers will be placed on seats that are unavailable due to social-distancing guidelines. Infield capacity will be reduced by 90 percent and several events, including the annual parade, have been canceled.

“Guest services will remind people to wear the masks,” said speedway president Doug Boles told the Indianapolis Star. “If appropriate we will be prepared to ask people to leave. I hope we don’t have to but we believe it’s a reasonable requirement.”

Because of the unusual circumstances, the local television blackout will be lifted.

Normally held over the Memorial Day weekend, “The Greatest Spectacle in Racing” was originally slated for May 24.

Field Level Media

for-phone-onlyfor-tablet-portrait-upfor-tablet-landscape-upfor-desktop-upfor-wide-desktop-up