** Gold producer shares dropped on Tuesday as the dollar rose and prices in the precious metal snapped a five-day rally
* U.S.-listed shares of Canada’s Barrick Gold dropped 5.2 percent, while shares of South Africa’s Harmony Gold were down 5.5 percent and shares of Gold Fields, also of South Africa, was down 4.8 percent.
* Shares of U.S.-based Newmont Mining were down 1.8 percent.
* The NYSE ARCA Gold Bugs index was off 3.7 percent and on track for its biggest daily percentage decline since March 9
* Spot gold prices were down while U.S. gold futures for June delivery settled down 1.7 percent at $1,206.70 an ounce following the dollar’s rebound.
* The dollar index was last up 1.2 percent.