LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - British singer Boy George has canceled his North American tour after U.S. authorities refused to issue him a visa because of legal trouble overseas, he said in a posting on his Web site on Tuesday.
The 47-year-old former Culture Club frontman was scheduled for a 30-date tour, starting with an Aspen, Colorado, show on July 10 and ending in Dallas, Texas, on August 23. The tour was also to take him to New York, Los Angeles and Chicago.
George, whose real name is George O’Dowd, was arrested last year and accused of falsely imprisoning a male escort from Norway. The 1980s pop star pleaded not guilty in February, but U.S. authorities denied his visa because of the case.
George had hoped the decision could be reversed, he said.
“I love America and I am really sad that it appears that I am not allowed to visit a place I have called home at various times in my life,” George said.
“But what has happened to me has nothing to do with the American people — they are kind people with big hearts.”
George is still scheduled to tour the United Kingdom, starting with a show on August 31 in Strathclyde, Scotland, and ending in Brighton, England, on November 2.