LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - A former manager for George Lopez has sued the comedian for $600,000 he claims the TV star owes him for unpaid commissions and profit-sharing from his hit ABC show.
The breach-of-contract suit, filed by Ron De Blasio in Los Angeles County Superior Court on Thursday and obtained by Reuters on Friday, names the 46-year-old performer and his production company, Encanto Enterprises, as defendants.
It says De Blasio worked for Lopez as his manager for about six years, until Lopez terminated their relationship in August 2006.
Their management deal provided De Blasio a percentage of gross proceeds Lopez earned — initially set at 15 percent, but later lowered to 10 percent — from any personal appearances or other work negotiated by De Blasio, according to the suit.
It said Lopez and Encanto also had agreed to pay De Blasio a share of profits they earned from the “George Lopez” show, which ended its five-year run on ABC last year but still airs in syndication.
The suit clams Lopez has “improperly refused to pay De Blasio residuals from all his work” on the show.
It says he also owes De Blasio management commissions for various live performances, CDs and DVD projects, Lopez’s work on the movies “Balls of Fury” and “The Adventures of Sharkboy and Lavagirl,” and a Showtime comedy special.
The total amount De Blasio claims he is still owed comes to at least $600,000, according to the suit.
Representatives for Lopez had no immediate comment on the lawsuit.
Editing by Dan Whitcomb and Todd Eastham