LOS ANGELES (Billboard) - She’s the new kid on the block, but she’s ready for the spotlight. The newest judge on “American Idol,” songwriter-producer Kara DioGuardi, recently gave reporters a preview of what to expect during the eighth season of the show, which debuts Tuesday on Fox.
1. She’s keeping her day job: Even though “Idol” is about to debut, DioGuardi is still working with musicians. “I haven’t slept. I was just working with Colbie Caillat in Hawaii. I’ve been up 48 hours now. She’s just great. I love her voice. She has just such a great tonal quality and emotion to her voice.”
2. Watch out for the season 8 guys: “There’s at least five guys I think are great. There’s a uniqueness to some of the male contestants in terms of voices and songs they’re picking and the general direction of what their record would be. There was a lot of soul influence — it’s not even that I’m talking R&B, but more in the way Maroon 5 is soulful.”
3. She’s hired a stylist: “I can’t tell you how many times I’ve seen that photo of all four of us, and I feel like I look like Peg Bundy. The hair, not so big anymore. Some of my looks? Ugh, the makeup and hair took me a minute.”
4. She already has her catchphrase down: Randy has “dawg,” Paula has her tears, Simon has, well, “No.” For her part, “I would say right now my line is ‘Be you, Don’t try to be anybody but you,’” DioGuardi says.
5. Chris Daughtry! Call Kara!: Although she’s worked with Kelly Clarkson and Carrie Underwood, DioGuardi has her eyes set on Daughtry. “I would love to co-write with him. At one point he was going to do a duet on a song I’d written, but it didn’t happen. If he’s out there and wants to do a co-write, call me!”