LONDON (Reuters) - Male bands led the charge at the NME award nominations on Monday, with Arctic Monkeys appearing in six categories, Kasabian in five and Muse in four.
And for all the talk of the dominance of solo female acts in 2010 and beyond, even Oasis have been nominated three times some five months after announcing they had split.
“It’s a good thing knowing we’re still up for these awards,” said Alex Turner from Arctic Monkeys.
“Kasabian have said that there aren’t any other proper rock bands apart from us and them. I don’t necessarily agree completely but I know what they’re saying. I think we’re just co-existing nicely.”
Kasabian and Arctic Monkeys go head-to-head in five categories -- best British band, best live band, best album, best video and a new category for 2010, the “Giving It Back Award” recognizing bands giving away offers to their fans.
Arctic Monkeys’ sixth nomination is for best track for “Crying Lightning.”
NME music magazine said that 1.3 million votes had been cast by fans.
Joining Arctic Monkeys, Kasabian and Oasis in the battle for best British band are Biffy Clyro and Muse, and in the best live event category are Blur, Jay-Z, Muse, Oasis and The Dead Weather.
Following is a list of nominations for the main categories. The Shockwaves NME Awards will be announced on February 24 at the O2 Academy Brixton.
- Best British Band: Arctic Monkeys; Biffy Clyro; Kasabian; Muse; Oasis
- Best International Band: Green Day; Kings Of Leon; Paramore; Vampire Weekend; Yeah Yeah Yeahs
- Best Solo Artist: Dizzee Rascal; Florence And The Machine; Jamie T; Julian Casablancas; Lady Gaga
- Best New Band: The Big Pink; Bombay Bicycle Club; Mumford & Sons; The xx; La Roux
- Best Live Band: Arctic Monkeys; Kasabian; Muse; Radiohead; Them Crooked Vultures
- Best Album: Arctic Monkeys/Humbug; Kasabian/West Ryder Pauper Lunatic Asylum; Muse/The Resistance; The Cribs/Ignore The Ignorant; The Horrors/Primary Colours
- Best Track: Animal Collective/My Girls; Arctic Monkeys/Crying Lightning; Florence And The Machine/Rabbit Heart (Raise It Up); Jamie T/Sticks N’ Stones; The Big Pink/Dominos
- Best Video: Arctic Monkeys/Cornerstone; Biffy Clyro/The Captain; Kasabian/Fire; Maccabees/Can You Give It; Oasis/Falling Down
- Best Live Event: Blur at Hyde Park; Jay-Z at Alexandra Palace; Muse at Teignmouth; Oasis at Heaton Park; The Dead Weather at Shoreditch Church.
Reporting by Mike Collett-White, editing by Paul Casciato