LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - “Law & Order” creator Dick Wolf said on Friday that his TV crime drama had “moved into the history books” after failing to find a new network following its cancellation by NBC after 20 years on the air.
“I can confirm that it has moved into the history books,” Wolf told TV writers at a conference in Los Angeles. Wolf had said earlier this year he hoped another network would continue to produce the series.
The crime drama series, whose audiences have halved since 2002, aired its last episode in May. But its multiple spin-offs are continuing with the latest, “Law & Order: Los Angeles”, coming to U.S. television in September.
Wolf said he was “extremely disappointed” at the cancellation of “Law & Order”, but that he was now focusing on the new show.
“That’s business. That’s life. Every show is born under a death sentence, they just don’t tell you the date of execution.
“We are here to talk about the future. The past is the past. This is a new show,” he said.
Actors Terrence Howard and Alfred Molina will star in “Law & Order: Los Angeles”, which follows the model set by the original show, inspired by real news headlines, and showing their investigation and prosecution.
Reporting by Jill Serjeant; Editing by Bob Tourtellotte