LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - For Elijah Wood, shooting Peter Jackson’s “The Hobbit” is going to be like a Middle Earth family reunion.
Many of the actors who shot the original “Lord of the Rings” saga will return to New Zealand for the “Hobbit” shoot this winter. Wood himself confirmed he was reprising his character Frodo last week.
“(Ian) McKellen is back, Cate Blanchett is back, Andy Serkis, and Orlando (Bloom),” Wood told The Hollywood Reporter at the Art of Elysium ‘Heaven’ gala on Saturday. “It’s going to be like going back in time.”
As for who else might be joining the cast, Wood insisted he did not know. And that includes his “Rings” sidekick, Sean Astin. “I haven’t even read the script,” he said.
Wood does know his part will be small and it will be shot in February. Since Frodo doesn’t appear in J.R.R. Tolkien’s book “The Hobbit,” Wood said he took the part knowing that it would respect the work.
“There only would have been reservation about taking the part if there had been something that had infringed upon the integrity of the original book,” he said. “But that was never going to be the case.”
While the “Rings” reunion is happening, the actor did not believe it will be a repeat session where the main actors opted for bonding tattoos during the filming of the original series.
“This time around, I don’t think so,” said Wood. “But you never know.”