LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - Simon Cowell’s upcoming talent show “The X Factor” will have two hosts, just like his old series “American Idol” did in its first season.
Cowell told CNN’s Piers Morgan the show would be hosted by a man and a woman, whom he declined to identify. He is scheduled to hold a conference call with journalists on Thursday when he may unveil additional tidbits.
“Idol” was hosted by Ryan Seacrest and Brian Dunkleman in its first season in 2002, but Seacrest has flown solo since.
Additionally, the head of the production company behind both “X Factor” and “Idol” said she would ensure there’s no cannibalization between the two Fox shows.
“Our job is to make sure the two shows are as distinct as possible,” Cecile Frot-Coutaz, CEO of FremantleMedia North America, told The Hollywood Reporter.
“For example: We’re making sure there are two entirely different teams with no overlap in terms of individuals who are working on both shows. And from a format and tonal standpoint, they’re very different. In terms of casting the judges, again, we’re making sure the looks are different.”
Besides Cowell, only one “X Factor” judge has been announced so far: Antonio “L.A.” Reid, the former Universal Music executive who helped propel Justin Bieber to superstardom.
“The X Factor” will debut on Fox in the fall. Auditions began last month in Los Angeles, and will resume in Miami on Thursday; Newark, NJ, on April 14; Seattle on April 20; Chicago on April 27; and Dallas on May 26.