March 4, 2009 / 1:54 PM / 11 years ago

Man admits damaging Jamiroquai star's Ferrari

LONDON (Reuters Life!) - A chef admitted on Wednesday causing around 30,000 pounds ($42, 327) of damage to a Ferrari sports car belonging to Jamiroquai frontman Jay Kay after he became upset with comments the British singer had made to him.

British singer Jay Kay of Jamiroquai performs during Budapest's Sziget Music Festival on an island in the Danube River August 14, 2008. REUTERS/Karoly Arvai

Aaron Billington, 21, pleaded guilty to damaging the rare Ferrari Enzo supercar in the early hours of Tuesday outside a hotel in Aldeburgh, Suffolk, in eastern England, where the British pop star was staying.

The chef’s solicitor Damien Moore said his client had acted in a “moment of madness” after becoming angry with Kay the evening before, the Press Association reported.

“He was socializing with people, which included the complainant and others, and he says that, as the evening progressed, the complainant began making some comments which Mr. Billington found to be deeply offensive,” Moore said.

“And he says that, because of the comments that were being made, he felt that there was an element of provocation which sparked him, essentially, into a fit of anger.”

Pictures showed the smashed windshield and side window of the car, one of just a few hundred produced and worth one 1 million pounds ($1.41 million) according to media reports.

Kay, 39, who was referred to in court as Jason Kay, said on Tuesday that he found the incident “disappointing.”

“It says something about the British psyche,” he said.

Lowestoft Magistrates Court was told there was no exact figure for the damage caused to the car but estimates suggested repairs could amount to 30,000 pounds.

“In the cold light of day — and with the benefit of hindsight — he (Billington) accepts that he acted totally inappropriately,” Moore said.

“No matter what comments were made that night which he found offensive, he knows that he should not have acted in the way that he did.”

Magistrates said the case would be sent to Ipswich Crown Court for sentencing at a later date.

Reporting by Michael Holden, editing by Paul Casciato

0 : 0
  • narrow-browser-and-phone
  • medium-browser-and-portrait-tablet
  • landscape-tablet
  • medium-wide-browser
  • wide-browser-and-larger
  • medium-browser-and-landscape-tablet
  • medium-wide-browser-and-larger
  • above-phone
  • portrait-tablet-and-above
  • above-portrait-tablet
  • landscape-tablet-and-above
  • landscape-tablet-and-medium-wide-browser
  • portrait-tablet-and-below
  • landscape-tablet-and-below