LONDON (Reuters Life!) - English band Foals led the field at the NME music magazine awards on Tuesday with four nominations in the music categories and a fifth for best album artwork for “Total Life Forever.”
U.S. rock group My Chemical Romance also had five nominations, although one was in the worst album category for “Danger Days: The True Lives of the Fabulous Killjoys” which happened also to appear in the best album short-list.
Their fifth nomination was for album artwork.
Canadian indie outfit Arcade Fire picked up four nominations, including best international band, best live band, best album (“The Suburbs”) and best video (“We Used to Wait”).
“Reports of rock music’s death appear to have been greatly exaggerated as a wealth of guitar-based bands get the nod in this year’s Shockwaves NME Awards nominations,” the magazine said, adding that over half a million votes were cast in the public poll.
Voters were invited to enter a second round of online voting to decide the winners, which are announced on February 23.
Beady Eye, made up of former Oasis members after the Gallagher brothers fell out, has been nominated for best new band, even though its debut album has yet to be released.
Lead singer Liam Gallagher appears in the most stylish and least stylish categories, as does Lady Gaga.
Following are the nominees in the main categories:
- Best British band: Arctic Monkeys; Biffy Clyro; Foals; Kasabian; Muse
- Best international band: Arcade Fire; Kings Of Leon; My Chemical Romance; The Drums; Vampire Weekend
- Best solo artist: Florence + The Machine; Frank Turner; Kanye West; Laura Marling; Paul Weller
- Best new band: Beady Eye; Everything Everything; Hurts; The Drums; Two Door Cinema Club
- Best live band: Arcade Fire; Biffy Clyro; Foals; Kasabian; Muse
- Best album: Arcade Fire/The Suburbs; Crystal Castles/Crystal Castles II; Foals/Total Life Forever; My Chemical Romance/Danger Days: The True Lives of the Fabulous Killjoys; Two Door Cinema Club/Tourist History
- Best track: Cee Lo Green/F*** You; Foals/Spanish Sahara; Gorillaz/Stylo; Janelle Monae (ft. Big Boi)/Tightrope; Mark Ronson & The Business Intl/ Bang Bang Bang.
Reporting by Mike Collett-White. Editing by Jill Serjeant