March 25, 2011 / 2:24 PM / 7 years ago

Royal wedding snapshots: Charles for king, composer snubbed

(Reuters) - Following is a selection of stories related to the forthcoming April 29th royal wedding of Britain’s Prince William that have appeared in newspapers and on websites in the last week.

<p>Britain's Prince Charles (L) and Prince William leave a charity event at city company ICAP, in central London December 8, 2010. REUTERS/Suzanne Plunkett</p>

(Reuters does not vouch for the accuracy of reports from other publications.) -- Britons want Charles not William as next king - poll

More Britons want Prince Charles to become Britain’s next monarch than his son William despite the huge interest in William’s upcoming wedding and previous suggestions he was the popular choice, a poll said.

Shortly after William’s engagement to girlfriend Kate Middleton was announced last November, two polls showed a majority of Britons thought he should succeed the Queen and not heir-to-the-throne Charles.

However, according to a YouGov survey for Prospect Magazine released on Thursday, that that sentiment has now been reversed.

The poll of 2,409 people found the British public would prefer Charles to be their next king by a 45 to 37 margin, a reversal of a similar survey in 2005 which backed William by 41-37.

(Source: Reuters, March 24)

-- Nothing says “Congratulations!” like a doughnut

So the chefs at Dunkin’ Donuts have dreamed up a “royal wedding donut” to honor the future Mr. and Mrs. William Windsor.

The heart-shaped confection is filled with jelly, and topped with vanilla icing and a chocolate drizzle. Dunkin’ Donuts franchises throughout the U.S. will offer the limited edition doughnut from April 24 until April 29 -- the day the young lovers finally tie the knot.

And while love don’t cost a thing, this deep-fried snack will set you back at least 89 cents.

(Source: Time, March 24)

-- Royal wedding recording to be online within hours

The official recording of the royal wedding between Prince William and Kate Middleton on April 29 will be available to download within hours of the service finishing.

Decca Records, part of the Universal Music label which also released the recordings of Prince Charles’s wedding in 1981 and Princess Diana’s funeral in 1997, will have a recording of the royal nuptials for sale on the net within hours and then release the official album of the marriage ceremony on May 5.

(Source: Reuters, March 23) -- Royal bride to arrive in car attacked by students

Prince William’s bride-to-be Kate Middleton will arrive at her wedding next month in the limousine attacked by students during riots in London three months ago, royal officials said.

Middleton will travel to Westminster Abbey for the marriage service in the Rolls-Royce Phantom VI car which angry protesters targeted during protests in December while William’s father Prince Charles and his second wife Camilla were on board.

During the incident, the car was kicked, white paint was thrown over it, a window was cracked, and Camilla came into “contact” with protesters; she was reportedly poked with a stick.

The couple were unhurt but a picture of Camilla and Charles open-mouthed in horror became the defining image of the trouble which erupted over plans to raise university tuition fees.

-- New royal wedding one-stop shop app launches

Those who want to keep up with the latest news about next month’s royal wedding, polish up their palace protocol or pass on marriage advice to the royal couple can now buy a “one-stop wedding shop” iPad application.

Media company 2 For Life’s “Royal Wedding 2011” app features a newswall with all the latest about the upcoming marriage of Prince William to Kate Middleton and a live feed with photos of the pair.

“Royal Wedding 2011 is both a primer and a keepsake for iPad users who have a keen interest in the wedding and the Royal Family,” said 2 For Life Media Inc President Diane Hall.

(Source: Reuters, March 21)

-- Queen’s composer refuses to watch after being overlooked

Sir Peter Maxwell-Davies was looking forward to composing a piece for the royal wedding, having been put “on standby” by Buckingham Palace.

But after months of waiting he has now accepted that this musical talents will not be required for next month’s ceremony -- and yesterday announced that he would boycott the day completely.

The Orkney-based composer said: “I‘m fine about it really. My office was contacted and put on standby. I am the Queen’s Master of Music, but nothing was confirmed.”

Asked whether he would be watching the Royal wedding, he replied: “No.”

(Source: Daily Telegraph, March 20)

Compiled by Mike Collett-White, editing by Paul Casciato

0 : 0
  • narrow-browser-and-phone
  • medium-browser-and-portrait-tablet
  • landscape-tablet
  • medium-wide-browser
  • wide-browser-and-larger
  • medium-browser-and-landscape-tablet
  • medium-wide-browser-and-larger
  • above-phone
  • portrait-tablet-and-above
  • above-portrait-tablet
  • landscape-tablet-and-above
  • landscape-tablet-and-medium-wide-browser
  • portrait-tablet-and-below
  • landscape-tablet-and-below