July 7, 2018 / 2:12 AM / 4 months ago

Major League Baseball notebook: Mariners extend GM Dipoto

Seattle Mariners general manager Jerry Dipoto and the team have agreed on a multi-year contract extension, the Mariners announced Friday.

Jun 15, 2018; Seattle, WA, USA; Boston Red Sox president of baseball operations Dave Dombrowski, left, talks with Seattle Mariners general manager Jerry Dipoto during batting practice at Safeco Field. Mandatory Credit: Joe Nicholson-USA TODAY Sports

The team did not release terms of the deal.

The Mariners hired Dipoto on Sept. 28, 2015, to succeed Jack Zduriencik, who had been with the team since 2009. Since then, the Mariners are 220-192, good for the eighth-best record in MLB in that span. Entering Friday’s action, the Mariners are 56-32 and 1 1/2 games behind the Houston Astros in the American League West. Seattle has the longest playoff drought of any team in the four major sports in North America.

“As I said when I arrived here, I believe this organization has every opportunity to be successful on a consistent basis,” Dipoto, 50, said in the news release. “The combination of a supportive ownership group, great ballpark, passionate fan base and beautiful city gives us all the tools we need to consistently compete for division titles, and division titles give us the opportunity to attain our primary goal: Winning the Word Series here in Seattle.”

—New York Mets pitcher Jenrry Mejia has been conditionally reinstated for the 2019 season, MLB commissioner Rob Manfred announced.

Mejia, 28, was permanently suspended on Feb. 12, 2016, under Major League Baseball’s Joint Drug Prevention and Treatment Program. He had tested positive for boldenone, which athletes have used to increase muscle mass. It was his third positive test for performance-enhancing drugs in a one-year span.

The 28-year-old last pitched during the 2015 season, going 1-0 in 7 1/3 scoreless innings for the Mets across seven appearances. In five MLB seasons, he is 9-14 with a 3.68 ERA in 133 appearances (18 starts).

—The Cleveland Indians activated right-hander Carlos Carrasco ahead of their game against the Oakland Athletics.

Carrasco was hit by a hard line drive off the bat of Minnesota’s Joe Mauer in mid-June and has been on the 10-day disabled list with an injured right elbow since. He has been hit by line drives at least three other times — in the face in 2015, one that broke his pitching hand in 2016 that caused him to miss the postseason and in the foot in spring training prior to this season. Carrasco is 8-5 with a 4.24 ERA in 15 starts this season.

In a corresponding move, the Indians designated righty reliever George Kontos for assignment. Cleveland also made a trade on Friday, landing righty reliever James Hoyt from the Houston Astros in exchange for right-hander Tommy DeJuneas.

—The Chicago Cubs activated right-handed reliever Carl Edwards Jr. from the 10-day disabled list before their game against the Cincinnati Reds.

In corresponding moves, righty Dillon Maples was optioned to Triple-A Iowa, and left-hander Rob Zastryzny was activated off the 10-day DL and also optioned to Iowa.

Edwards, 26, hit the disabled list on May 30 with inflammation in his throwing shoulder. He allowed two runs on two hits and four walks in two innings across three rehab appearances with Iowa, most recently pitching Wednesday. Before his DL stint, Edwards was 2-1 with a 2.88 ERA in 25 appearances this season for the Cubs, striking out 40 in 25 innings.

—Oscar De La Cruz, a pitcher in the Chicago Cubs system, was suspended 80 games without pay for violating Major League Baseball’s Joint Drug Prevention and Treatment Program, commissioner Rob Manfred’s office announced.

De La Cruz tested positive for furosemide, which is a diuretic and masking agent, according to the commissioner’s office. The suspension is effective immediately.

The 23-year-old De La Cruz is with the Cubs’ Double-A Tennessee affiliate. He is 6-7 with a 5.24 ERA this season.

—Pitcher J.T. Ginn said he will pass on signing with the Los Angeles Dodgers and instead head to Mississippi State.

The 30th pick in the amateur draft in June, Ginn had a $2,275,800 slot value. The 19-year-old right-hander out of Brandon High School in Mississippi said it was a “lifelong dream” to play for the Bulldogs in an Instagram post announcing his decision.

—Field Level Media

0 : 0
  • narrow-browser-and-phone
  • medium-browser-and-portrait-tablet
  • landscape-tablet
  • medium-wide-browser
  • wide-browser-and-larger
  • medium-browser-and-landscape-tablet
  • medium-wide-browser-and-larger
  • above-phone
  • portrait-tablet-and-above
  • above-portrait-tablet
  • landscape-tablet-and-above
  • landscape-tablet-and-medium-wide-browser
  • portrait-tablet-and-below
  • landscape-tablet-and-below