ROME (Reuters) - Terrorism suspects under investigation in Italy may have been planning an attack against the Vatican, one of the prosecutors leading the probe said on Friday.
Cagliari Chief Prosecutor Mauro Mura told reporters that as well as planning to launch attacks in Pakistan and Afghanistan as earlier reported, the suspects may also have been aiming to target the Vatican.
Raids across Italy were targeting 18 people suspected of having links with al Qaeda, police said earlier. Some had been arrested in Italy, including the group's suspected spiritual leader, but others were believed to have left the country.
Reporting By Gavin Jones