FILE PHOTO: A TMX Group sign, the company that runs the Toronto Stock Exchange (TSX), is seen in Toronto, June 23, 2014. REUTERS/Mark Blinch
- The Toronto Stock Exchange’s TSX rises 0.25 percent to 16,899.69
- Leading the index were Hexo Corp (HEXO.TO), up 11.5 percent, First Quantum Minerals Ltd (FM.TO), up 9 percent, and Nexgen Energy Ltd (NXE.TO), higher by 7.3 percent.
- Lagging shares were CannTrust Holdings Inc (TRST.TO), down 5.0 percent, Canopy Growth Corp (WEED.TO), down 3.8 percent, and Superior Plus Corp (SPB.TO), lower by 2.4 percent.
- On the TSX 149 issues rose and 81 fell as a 1.8-to-1 ratio favored advancers. There were 16 new highs and no new lows, with total volume of 500.7 million shares.
- The most heavily traded shares by volume were Husky Energy Inc (HSE.TO), Encana Corp ECA.TO and First Quantum Minerals Ltd (FM.TO).
- The TSX’s energy group .SPTTEN rose 0.71 points, or 0.5 percent, while the financials sector .SPTTFS climbed 1.25 points, or 0.4 percent.
- West Texas Intermediate crude futures CLc1 fell 0.07 percent, or $0.04, to $58.09 a barrel. Brent crude LCOc1 rose 0.47 percent, or $0.3, to $64.7 [O/R]
- The TSX is up 18 percent for the year.