FILE PHOTO: The Art Deco facade of the original Toronto Stock Exchange building is seen on Bay Street in Toronto, Ontario, Canada January 23, 2019. REUTERS/Chris Helgren
* The Toronto Stock Exchange’s TSX rises 0.20 percent to 16,369.32
* Leading the index were Shopify Inc (SHOP.TO), up 7.8%, Wesdome Gold Mines Ltd (WDO.TO), up 7.1%, and Torex Gold Resources Inc (TXG.TO), higher by 7%.
* Lagging shares were FirstService Corp (FSV.TO), down 6.6%, Husky Energy Inc (HSE.TO), down 6.6%, and Hexo Corp (HEXO.TO), lower by 6.3%.
* On the TSX 95 issues rose and 132 fell as a 0.7-to-1 ratio favored decliners. There were 5 new highs and 5 new lows, with total volume of 166.9 million shares.
* The most heavily traded shares by volume were Encana Corp ECA.TO, Yamana Gold Inc (YRI.TO) and B2gold Corp (BTO.TO).
* The TSX’s energy group .SPTTEN fell 1.14 points, or 0.9%, while the financials sector .SPTTFS slipped 0.47 points, or 0.1%.
* West Texas Intermediate crude futures rose 0.48%, or $0.27, to $56.24 a barrel. Brent crude rose 0.72% , or $0.44, to $61.61
* The TSX is up 14.3% for the year.