The Art Deco facade of the original Toronto Stock Exchange building is seen on Bay Street in Toronto, Ontario, Canada January 23, 2019. REUTERS/Chris Helgren
- The Toronto Stock Exchange’s TSX rises 0.21 percent to 16,404.49
- Leading the index were Aphria Inc (APHA.TO), up 8.4%, Yamana Gold Inc (YRI.TO), up 7.6%, and Mullen Group Ltd (MTL.TO), higher by 6.4%.
- Lagging shares were Celestica Inc (CLS.TO), down 7.4%, Hexo Corp (HEXO.TO), down 7.2%, and Boyd Group Income Fund (BYD_u.TO), lower by 5.1%.
- On the TSX 121 issues rose and 104 fell as a 1.2-to-1 ratio favored advancers. There were 5 new highs and 8 new lows, with total volume of 172.8 million shares.
- The most heavily traded shares by volume were Yamana Gold Inc (YRI.TO), Aurora Cannabis Inc (ACB.TO) and Encana Corp (ECA.TO).
- The TSX’s energy group .SPTTEN rose 1.33 points, or 1.1%, while the financials sector .SPTTFS climbed 0.62 points, or 0.2%.
- West Texas Intermediate crude futures CLc1 rose 0.8%, or $0.45, to $56.68 a barrel. Brent crude LCOc1 rose 0.55% , or $0.34, to $62.01
- The TSX is up 14.5% for the year.